Paella Fried Rice
A great way to use up all that leftover rice from Chinese takeout!
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 chorizo sausage links, cut in half-inch pieces
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of saffron, about 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3-4 cups leftover rice, from takeout or day-old rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound mussels, beards removed if attached
- 1/2 cup (about a handful) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add chorizo and cook, stirring every now and then for about 3-4 minutes.
And the chicken and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf and saffron, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until the onions get tender. Add the leftover rice and toss to combine until the rice is heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
Give the pan a shake to settle the rice evenly in the skillet then add the wine and chicken stock, and nestle in the shrimp and mussels. Cover the skillet and turn the heat down to medium.
Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the shrimp are firm and the mussels have opened. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.