Enjoy Rachael’s version of this Spanish classic.
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (a couple of pinches)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 chicken thighs or legs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup thin spaghetti pieces, broken
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 pound Spanish chorizo, casing removed and cut into small dice
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup diced pequillo peppers or chopped pimentos
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined or mussels, scrubbed
In a medium pot heat the stock and saffron.
Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan. Add the chicken to the hot oil and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on both sides, then remove.
Reduce the heat for the pan to medium. Stir in the pasta, brown for 2 minutes and then stir in the onion. Stir for 2 minutes then add the garlic and chorizo and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in the rice, then add the thyme and three-quarters of the warm stock. Slide the chicken back into pan with the peppers.
Cook for 15 minutes. Add the seafood, cover with foil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the foil. Add the peas and cook for 5 more minutes to heat the peas and crisp up the rice.