Pappardelle and Lamb Meat Sauce
Enjoy this lamb meat sauce scented with orange zest and rosemary over pappardelle.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta ribbons
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
Heat the EVOO in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pat the lamb very dry and add to the very hot pot. Brown for a minute or two without stirring, then break up the meat and continue to brown and crumble for a few minutes more. Add in the onion, carrot, garlic and Fresno chili pepper. Season with salt and liberal amount of black pepper; soften for 5 minutes more, then the add the bay leaves, orange zest, rosemary and tomato paste. Stir for a minute, then deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the stock and milk, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Bring the pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water and drain.
Combine the pasta with the sauce, using the reserved starchy cooking water to combine. Remove the bay leaves and serve in shallow bowls topped with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and some parsley.