Paprika Chicken with Egg Noodles
This Hungarian-style comfort food will please every chicken-lover in your house and be on the table in no time.
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds mixed boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cornichons or pickles
Place a large pot of water over high heat to cook the pasta. When the water boils, salt it well and drop the pasta in. Cook to al dente according to package directions. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve.
While the pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and reserve.
Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic to the pan, and cook until the veggies have softened, 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and return the chicken to the pan. Add the paprika, allspice and stock to the pan and bring up to a bubble. Simmer until the chicken has cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Reserve.
Toss the cooked noodles with the butter, dill, chives and parsley. Serve the chicken over the noodles and garnish with the chopped cornichons.