Parmigiano and Herb-Fortified Stock
You can make your own broth and store it to use with countless recipes, such as Hearty and Healthy Three-Bean Minestrone. It keeps in the fridge for a week and in the freezer for 3 months.
- 1 large rind trimmed from a hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or a few small pieces rind that you’ve saved-up
- 1 bundle of several sprigs each fresh thyme, parsley and rosemary, tied
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 ribs celery, sliced on angle
- 2 carrots, sliced on angle
- Peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 cups (3 quarts) water
Place the cheese rind, herb bundle, onion, celery, carrots, lemon rind, bay leaves, chicken stock and water into a pot and bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer at least 1 hour, then remove the rind, herb bundle and vegetables with a slotted spoon or strainer.
Cook’s Note: Once cooled, pour the stock into a sealable plastic freezer bag and let it lay flat in the freezer so that it takes up less room than a container would.