Pasta al Forno
- 1 pound ziti rigate
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 3 ounces prosciutto, 1 thick slice from deli, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Softened butter to coat a medium casserole or baking dish
Bring large pot of water to boil, then salt and cook the pasta to al dente on the chewy side, 7 minutes. Once your pasta water comes to a boil to cook the ziti, pre-heat the oven to 500 °F.
To a medium skillet over medium heat add the extra-virgin olive oil, two turns of the pan. Cook the onions and garlic in oil, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a bubble. Add the cream and season the sauce with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add the chopped prosciutto to sauce and stir with the cooked pasta to combine.
Coat a medium casserole dish with the butter. Adjust the seasonings and transfer the pasta to casserole. Cover the pasta with Parmigiano-Reggiano and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.