Pasta and Escarole Soup
Serve this comforting soup on a cold winter’s night.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (32 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1/2 pound penne rigate pasta
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- Grated cheese, for serving
In a soup pot, heat 3 tablepoons EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and fennel seed and cook until softened. Add the celery, leek, carrot, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups water, the vegetable or chicken stock and the tomato sauce.
Bring the liquid to a boil and stir in the pasta. Cook until al dente, about 12 minutes. Add the escarole at the end to wilt. Serve the soup with a drizzle of EVOO and some cheese on top.