Pasta with Shrimp, Grape Tomatoes and Baby Arugula
- 1 pound baby penne pasta with lines or small shells
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 24 small to medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails off
- 6 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup basil (20 leaves), thinly sliced into ribbons
- 4 cups baby arugula (6 ounces), roughly chopped
Heat a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Once the water comes to a boil, add a generous amount of salt and the pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving about a cup of starchy pasta cooking water.
While water comes up to a boil, place the tomatoes on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Place tomatoes in hot oven and roast for 20 minutes.
When the tomatoes have about 8 minutes of cooking time left, heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with three turns of the pan EVOO. Add the garlic to the EVOO, followed by the shrimp. Cook the shrimp until firm and pink, about 5-6 minutes. Add the scallions and cook a minute more.
Add the pasta along with the pasta water. Season the shrimp and pasta with salt and pepper and 2 teaspoons lemon zest and the juice of the lemon.
Remove tomatoes from the oven and mash with a potato masher. Add tomatoes, basil and arugula to the pan and toss to combine.