Pasta with Tuna-Tomato Herb Sauce
Fresh tomatoes and herbs make this a delicious meal on a summer evening.
- 1 pound medium shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste or 4-5 anchovy filets
- 1 pound fresh tuna steaks, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (about half a handful)
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped (about half a handful)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring it to a boil.
When the water has come up to a bubble, add some salt and the pasta and cook to al dente, according to package directions. When the pasta is done, drain it and reserve it in a colander until the sauce is ready.
While the pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-low heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Toss the garlic and anchovy paste or filets into the pan and cook until aromatic and melted, about 1 minute.
Raise the heat to medium-high, then add the chopped tuna, tomatoes, white wine, lemon zest and juice, rosemary sprig, parsley and basil to the pan as well. Season everything with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened up and the tuna is cooked through, 5-6 minutes.
Add the reserved pasta to the pan with the tuna-tomato herb sauce and give everything a good toss to evenly coat the pasta. Serve immediately.