Peas and Carrots Soup
It was a luncheon for friends and I made Peas & Carrots Soup, Fava Green Pesto Pasta with Fava Beans, Zucchini Tart, and Fried Green Tomatoes (page 85) layered with bacon, arugula, and Ranch Dressing (page 50).
Peas and Carrots Soup follows.
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups peeled and chopped spring carrots
- 4 baby fennel bulbs or 1 bulb regular fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 2 small or 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 or 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 head spring garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound baby potatoes, chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed fresh tarragon and parsley
- 1 cup asparagus thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO (4 turns of the pan). Add the carrots, fennel, onion, celery, garlic, potatoes, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the stock and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the herbs, asparagus, and peas and let cook for a few minutes to heat through. Stir that, remove the bay leaf, and the soup is finished.