Penne Avvocato literally means “lawyers’ pens” in Italian. Maybe Rach named this after her hubbie, John? You can include this 30 Minute Meal meal in your Feast of Seven Fishes.
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 canned anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4-1 pound swordfish steak, trimmed and chopped into small, bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can tomatoes (28 ounces), preferably San Marzano
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the anchovies and cook until melted, 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes; stir in the crushed red pepper. Increase the heat, add the fish and cook until opaque, 3-4 minutes. Add the wine; cook until reduced slightly, 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and capers; cook, breaking up the tomatoes, until heated through; season with black pepper.
Add the pasta, basil and parsley and toss.