Penne with Peas and Mint
Ricotta salata is just the right flavor to top this quick, fresh pasta with peas and mint.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound penne rigate
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bag frozen peas (16 ounces), preferably organic, or 3 cups shelled fresh peas
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or Meyer lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound ricotta salata, shaved or crumbled
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
Meanwhile, in a deep skillet or medium size pot, simmer the stock and garlic over medium heat. Add the peas; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer 1 cup cooked peas to a small bowl. Transfer the remaining cooked peas, the broth and the garlic to a food processor or blender. Add the herbs, lemon juice and EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Pulse on high until a coarse puree forms, then transfer to a large bowl.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking water. Add the cooking water and reserved peas to the sauce; toss with the pasta and season.
Divide the pasta among shallow bowls. Top with the cheese and tomatoes and season.