Penne with Two-Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound penne
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup soft sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup dry red wine
- One can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (eyeball it)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup arugula, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn or shredded (about 20 leaves)
- Grated Asiago cheese, to pass around the table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is working, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and sundried tomatoes and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and reduce for 1 minute, then stir in the crushed tomatoes. When the tomatoes are heated through, reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the cream. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Drain the pasta and toss with the tomato sauce until coated. Transfer the pasta to a platter or to individual shallow bowls and top with mounds of the arugula and basil. Pass around the cheese at the table.