Perfect Ribeye Steak Supper
Sensational steak slathered with garlic sherry butter is complemented with a porcini sauce in this at home steak dinner. Serve with Swiss Chard Au Gratin.
- 3 bulbs garlic, ends cut to expose cloves plus 2 large cloves, finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme, finely chopped
- A handful of dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1 cup good quality ketchup
- 1 large rib eye steak, 1 1/2- to 2-inches thick
Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Drizzle garlic bulbs with oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in foil and roast to tender, 45 minutes. Reserve 1 head for the Swiss Chard Au Gratin. Add cast-iron pan to oven to preheat.
Squeeze cloves from remaining 2 bulbs garlic into the bowl of a food processor. Add sherry, butter, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Pulse process into a paste and reserve.
For the steak sauce, simmer porcini in stock to reconstitute and soften. Let reduce, 15-20 minutes, then transfer to a food processor and purée. In a small pot over medium heat, sauté shallots and 2 cloves finely chopped garlic in a drizzle of EVOO to soften. Add puréed porcini stock, balsamic, Worcestershire, brown sugar, pepper and ketchup, and simmer to thicken 20 minutes over low heat.
Bring meat to room temperature, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pat meat dry and rub with a drizzle of oil. Season aggressively with salt and pepper. Remove hot cast-iron skillet from oven and place over medium-high heat. Add steak to hot pan and brown 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to oven and cook 6 minutes more for medium-rare, turning once. Remove meat and let rest before carving.
Slather steak with garlic sherry butter, slice and top with steak sauce. Serve Swiss Chard Au Gratin alongside.