Pickled Potato Salad
Potatoes tossed with bacon and a sweet and sassy vinaigrette make a delicous side. Serve with Schnitzelwiches Holstein.
- 4 medium Russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 pound bacon, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chile pepper, such as Fresno or red finger chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 can beef consomme
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add the onions, chile, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and bay leaves, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar, then douse the pan with the vinegar and stir until combined. Add the consomme and cook until reduced to 3/4 cup.
Drain the potatoes, then toss with the dressing and the parsley in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with EVOO.