Pimento Cheese Patty Melts with Bacon
For a mouth-watering patty melt, top seasoned beef patties with homemade spicy cheddar cheese spread and bacon.
- 8 slices smoky bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound sharp yellow cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 jar chopped pimientos (4 ounces), drained
- 1 package cream cheese (3 ounces)
- About 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s® RedHot®
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- Softened butter, for buttering bread
- 8 slices good-quality white bread
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake until crisp, about 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, season the beef with salt and pepper. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, parsley and onion.
Form four large patties (thinner in the middle for even cooking.)
In a large skillet or cast iron griddle, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and grill, turning once, for about 8 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Transfer to a plate.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cheddar, pimentos, cream cheese, mayo, hot sauce, paprika and garlic until well mixed, 1-2 minutes.
Re-heat the skillet or griddle over medium heat. Butter 1 side of each bread slice, placing buttered side down on a work surface. Spread each bread slice with some cheese mixture, top with a burger, two pieces of bacon and another bread slice. Griddle until golden and the cheese is melted.