Pimento Cheese Sliders
Choose cheddar cheese sauce with chopped pimentos over burgers for sensational sliders.
- 16 slices good-quality white bread
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon paprika or sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- Salt and pepper
- A drizzle of oil (olive or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons pimentos, well-drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Several drops hot sauce
- 8 slices good-quality dill pickle chips or bread-and-butter pickles
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the bread into 3-inch rounds or trim into slider-size squares. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted and golden, 8-10 minutes.
Combine the meat with the garlic, onion, paprika, beer, salt and pepper. Mix and form eight burgers (about 3 ounces each) and drizzle with oil. Heat a griddle pan or large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and milk and simmer to thicken for about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Melt in the cheese and stir in the pimientos, mustard and hot sauce.
Divide the patties among eight toast slices and top with the cheese sauce and another slice of toast. Garnish with the pickles and secure with toothpicks