Pimento Mac ‘n Cheese Cheeseburgers
Fixin’ to feed a hungry crowd? Here’s a hearty burger meal on a roll. Serve with suggested fixin’s for the final touch.
For the burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons onion, grated directly over the meat
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 large, soft burger buns or brioche buns or 8 slider-size buns
For the mac ‘n cheese:
- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, such as Fresno, finely chopped
- 2 jars chopped pimentos (4 ounces each), well drained and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (about 2/3 palmful)
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped pickles
- Peppadew peppers
- Chopped lettuce
- Tomatoes, sliced or diced
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta and heat a cast iron skillet or large griddle pan over medium-high heat.
Combine the meat with the Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, salt and pepper and form four large or eight slider-size patties. Drizzle the patties lightly with oil. Separate the buns and arrange the bottoms on a platter.
Undercook the macaroni by a minute in boiling salted water. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and chili pepper and stir for 3 minutes. Add the pimentos and heat through. Add the paprika and the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and let thicken. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the cheese to melt. Add the macaroni and stir to combine.
Cook the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side for large burgers or 2-3 minutes on each side for sliders for medium doneness.
If using fixin’s, place them on the bun bottoms. Place the patties on the bun bottoms and top with the mac ‘n cheese; set the bun tops in place.