Pimiento and garlic add Spanish flavor to this simple rice dish. Serve with Argentinean Surf-and-Turf Skewers with Chimichurri.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 jars pimientos (4 ounces each), drained and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
Place a medium size pot over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the rice to the pan and toss to coat. Add the chicken stock to the pot, season lightly with salt and pepper and bring up to a bubble. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and steam until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
When the rice is ready, fluff with a fork and stir in the pimientos and red onion. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.