Pizzette-Style Chicken Paillard
This “un-pizza” is made atop chicken paillards instead of pizza crust.
- 4 chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each), butterflied then pounded very thin (1/8-1/4-inch thick)
- Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- A fat handful of basil leaves
- 1 pound ball fresh mozzarella, very thinly sliced or shredded on fat toothed box grater
- Arugula or baby kale, for garnish
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for garnish
Drizzle the chicken with oil in a shallow dish and season with salt, pepper, the granulated garlic and onion, fennel, red pepper and thyme. Marinade for a few minutes and pre-heat a large griddle pan or grill pan over medium-high heat.
Pre-heat the broiler.
Heat a skillet with a lid over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil, a turn of the pan. Add the sliced garlic and stir for a minute; add the tomatoes and season with salt. Cover the pan to trap the heat and cook to soften, 8-10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Add the basil to the sauce and stir to wilt.
Grill or griddle-cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side, then transfer to baking sheets. Top the chicken as if it were a small pizza with the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Broil to brown and melt the cheese then top with arugula or baby kale and Parm to serve.