Pork and Black-Eyed Pea Chili
Cozy up to this hearty chili with the delicious flavors of pork and andouille sausage!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, chopped or crumbled
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2-3 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with mild chilies (14.5-ounces)
- 1 can black-eyed peas (15.5-ounces), rinsed
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce, such as Franks RedHot brand
- A few sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika (about a palmful)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (about 2/3 palmful)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 toaster corn muffins or 2 corn muffins, split toasted and buttered
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Add the pork and cook, crumbling, until browned, 2 minutes more. Add the celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, black-eyed peas, hot sauce, thyme, chili powder, paprika and coriander. Bring to a low boil, lower the heat and cook for 10-12 minutes more.
Top the chili with the scallions. Serve with the corn muffins alongside or crumbled over the chili.