Portuguese Fisherman’s Shrimp & Chorizo
Be sure to buy the shrimp no earlier than 48 hours before you plan to serve this. Suggested side: Portuguese rolls.
- 1 tablespoon EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, casings removed, chopped
- 1 starchy potato (such as russet), peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red Fresno or Holland finger chile, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 small bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, plain or with chiles
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of 1 lemon
In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the EVOO (1 turn of the pan) over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and render for 2 minutes. Add the potato, onion, carrot, garlic, chile, thyme, and bay leaf and cook to soften the onion, 5 to 6 minutes. Wilt in the kale and season with a few grates of nutmeg. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock, and bring to a low boil. Adjust the seasoning.
Make-ahead: Cool and refrigerate.
Night of: Return the chorizo and kale mixture to room temp before reheating gently over medium heat.
When the kale mixture is at a low boil, add the shrimp and cook until pink and firm. Stir in the lemon juice and turn off the heat.
Serve the shrimp and chorizo in shallow bowls garnished with a drizzle of EVOO.