Portuguese-Style Chicken One-Pot
For a hearty but heathy all-in-one meal, try this Portuguese pot of browned chorizo, potatoes, chicken, mushrooms and charred peppers in a tomato wine broth with wilted kale.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 8 meaty bone-in chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 pound chorizo, casing removed, sliced into 1-inch-thick half-moons
- 2 handfuls baby potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, halved, or 4 medium portobello mushroom caps, halved and coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 sweet medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
- 1 small bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or rioja wine
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Portuguese-style rolls or other crusty bread
Char the peppers over a flame or under the broiler until blackened all over. Place the peppers in a paper bag or place in a bowl and cover. Let cool to handle, then seed, peel and chop the peppers.
Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for a few minutes; turn and season with paprika, brown on the opposite side and transfer to a plate. Add the chorizo, render for a minute or so, then add the potatoes and mushrooms and brown for a few minutes. Add the bay leaf, onion and garlic and season with pepper. Stir occasionally, wilt in the kale and soften the onion, then deglaze the pan with the sherry (or wine). Stir in the peppers and tomatoes. Add the chicken and stock, cover, lower the heat and cook the chicken through, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Thicken the sauce, uncovered, for 10 minutes, then return the chicken to rewarm. Discard the bay leaf, garnish with the parsley and serve with the bread.