Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with Cannellini Beans
This low-cost one skillet chicken supper is complemented with a sauce made from bacon, vegetables, wine and more .
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 8 slices prosciutto di Parma or speck (smoky ham)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups passata or tomato purée
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounces), drained
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and lots of rosemary. Wrap each piece of chicken in a slice of prosciutto or speck.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. Brown the chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side or until the ham is crisp; remove to a plate.
To the same pan, add the remaining EVOO, a turn of the pan, celery, carrot, onion, chili pepper and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook, partially covered, until soft, stirring frequently, 10-12 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste; cook for 1 minute, then add the wine, stock, tomato puree, beans and basil. Set the chicken back into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes more.
Serve with crusty bread for mopping.