Pugliese Mushroom Hodge-Podge with Green Olive Crostini
Mario Batali has shared this festive crostini appetizer with us, which features four different kinds mushrooms!
- 1/4 pound chanterelle mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/4 pound crimini mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/4 pound oyster mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/4 pound yellow foot mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chilies (optional)
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, cut into 1-inch-long pieces (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup green olive pesto
- 4 slices Italian peasant bread, sliced 1-inch thick
Place the chanterelles, crimini, oyster and yellow foot mushrooms, red onion, chilies, scallions, garlic, white wine, tomatoes and tomato sauce in a heavy 4 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. The mixture should be thick, like a ragu. Season with salt and pepper and pour into a large shallow serving bowl.
Toast the bread and smear it with green olive pesto. Stand the crostini at fun angles in middle of the mushroom hodge-podge and serve immediately in the center of the table.