Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Bourbon BBQ Sauce & Slaw
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup apricot all-fruit spread or preserves
- 2 shots good-quality bourbon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups Poached Chicken
- 1 cup poaching liquid or store-bought chicken stock
- 8 soft brioche or other rolls, split
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey, or 2 teaspoons sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 small Honeycrisp or Fuji apple, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater or finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
Make the BBQ sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, Worcestershire, and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the apricot spread, bourbon, and orange zest well combined. Season with pepper.
For the sandwiches: In a small pot, cover the sweet potato with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the sweet potato, chicken, and poaching liquid. Stir in the BBQ sauce. Simmer until the chicken is heated through.
Make-ahead: Cool and refrigerate.
Make the slaw: In a large bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, agave syrup, and lemon juice. Add the cabbage and apple and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate.
Night of: Return the chicken to room temp before reheating gently over medium heat.
To serve, pile the chicken on rolls and top with slaw.