This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3 poblano peppers
- 2 1/2 pounds pumpkin (I use 1/2 cheese pumpkin), peeled and seeded
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus a drizzle
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- A few sprigs each of thyme and sage
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- A handful flat kale, stripped and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- Pepitas, toasted, for garnish
Broil peppers or char over an open flame on a gas burner. Place peppers in a bowl and cover with foil. Let cool then seed, peel and coarsely chop.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Dress the pumpkin with olive oil spray and salt; roast to tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Heat EVOO in a soup pot over medium-high heat; add shallots, garlic and herbs. Stir 3-4 minutes to soften; add spices and toast 1 minute. Add pumpkin and break it up the pieces with a spoon. Add syrup, chopped poblanos and stock, and bring to a boil.
Remove soup from heat and purée with stick immersion blender then simmer 20 minutes.
Add kale to soup or dress raw kale with lemon, EVOO, salt and pepper to garnish. Serve in shallow bowls and top with pepitas.