Queso Fundido Taquitos
Try these taquitos, made with mushrooms, pepper and onions covered with melted cheese. Serve with Creamy Ancho Pepper Salsa alongside.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 3/4 pound button mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups soft Mexican cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 flour or corn tortillas (4-6-inch size)
Pre-heat the oven to 250°F.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper and remove to a plate.
Add the remaining two turns of the pan of EVOO to the pan and add the onion and poblano pepper. Cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms back to the pan, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese.
Place a couple tablespoons of the mixture in each tortilla and roll them up to make taquitos. Place the rolled taquitos seam-side down on a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.