Quick Veggie Soup with Spring Lettuce
This veggie-tastic soup will cure all that ails you.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 leeks, trimmed, quartered, sliced and thoroughly rinsed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh peas or frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 5 cups torn sprig lettuce, such as Romaine or butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Crusty bread
In a medium size soup pot, heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the leeks, potatoes, carrots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Stir for 1 minute, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 6-8 minutes.
Add the stock, peas and tarragon. Simmer until the peas are just tender, 3 minutes for fresh or 5 minutes for frozen. Add the lettuce and stir until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice. Serve with the crusty bread.