Rachael Ray’s Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Cheddar
Mashed potatoes, parsnips and cheddar come together for a new take on everybody’s favorite side.
- 2 1/2 pounds russet (baking) potatoes (about 5 potatoes), peeled and cubed
- 2-3 large parsnips, peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra, extra, extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole milk or 2% milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
In a large pot, cover the potatoes and parsnips with cold water. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until fork-tender. Drain and return to the pot; mash with the butter, cheese, and milk. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in the chives.