Ranch-Style Turkey Chili
Don’t interrupt a good football game! Serve turkey chili – a super sofa supper dish.
- 4 poblano peppers
- 2 large store-bought corn muffins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cumin (a couple of palmfuls)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (a palmful)
- 1 can pinto or white beans (14 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Hot sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Minced red onion
- 4-5 slices crispy bacon, chopped
Char the peppers over a gas flame on high heat or under the broiler with the oven door cracked for steam to escape, turning with tongs. Place the charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam. Let them cool, then peel, seed and finely chop.
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Crumble the corn muffins, arrange on a cookie sheet and toast until crispy and extra golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Heat the EVOO in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble the meat. Add the garlic and onions to the pot and cook to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander, then stir in the chopped peppers. Add the beans, stock and herbs and simmer 5 minutes. Season with hot sauce.
Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream to combine. Serve topped with the crispy corn muffin crumbles and any of the other toppings you like.