If you love Remy the rat chef in Ratatouille, then you’re bound to love this thick soup that shares the same name. C’est magnifique!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound small cut whole grain pasta
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- A few leaves fresh basil, torn or shredded
Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat with three turns of the pan of EVOO, about three tablespoons. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, eggplant and zucchini. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and chicken stock, bring the soup to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Stir in the pasta and cook to al dente, with a bite to it. Stir in parsley and basil, adjust salt and pepper and serve.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.