Red Chard and Rice
Serve with Beer-Poached Pulled Chicken Mole.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3-4 slices bacon or 1 slice speck (1/8-inch thick), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small bunch red chard, stemmed and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika or sweet paprika
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or water
Heat the EVOO in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the bacon, cook 2 minutes, then add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the chard and season with a little nutmeg, salt, pepper and paprika. When the chard is wilted, add the rice and stir for 1 minute more. Add the stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for 15-18 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and serve.