Red Waldorf Salad
This refreshing salad has a delicious blend of flavors and textures! It’s a great meal to serve for anyone who is dieting or for a healthy lunch.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 4 small red beets, trimmed
- 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Gala apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 small ribs celery
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Drizzle a little EVOO over the beets and wrap in foil. Ask a grown-up helper (GH) to roast the beets until tender, 35-40 minutes. Let cool in the foil, then rub off the skins with a paper towel (they’ll come off like magic!). Ask your GH to chop the beets.
In a large bowl, combine the cranberry sauce and vinegar. Whisk in 1/4 cup EVOO and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the beets, apple, grapes, celery, red onion and walnuts. Toss the salad until everything is red!
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.