Roast Beef French Dip with Green Pea Pesto
Juicy beef sandwiches are enhanced with a pea pesto sauce. Enjoy today or as a make-ahead meal.
For the Green Pea Pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (about 20)
- 1 cup defrosted frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- About 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- About 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 clove garlic, pasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
For the Beef:
- 1 1/2-2 pounds beef eye of round roast
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cups beef stock
For the pesto:
In a food processor, combine the basil, peas, Parmesan cheese, mint, tarragon, garlic and about 1/2 cup EVOO. Season with salt and pepper and process to almost smooth. Transfer to a small container until ready to use. Or refrigerate and bring to room temperature when ready to serve.
For the beef:
Bring the roast to room temperature. Sprinkle the meat with salt, pepper and rosemary.
Pre-heat the oven to 475º F.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a Dutch oven or large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat evenly, 5 minutes. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 120ºF on a meat thermometer.
Transfer the roast to a cutting board and cover with foil, 30 minutes. Wrap and store if not serving right away.
To serve, very thinly slice the meat. Heat the stock to warm but not boiling. Quickly dip the meat in the stock and place on the French bread. Top with the green pea pesto and set the bun top in place.