Roast Chicken and Roasted Veggies with Mushroom-Apple Stuffing
This is the “fast” recipe for another of Rachael’s trilogies including the “faster” Mushroom-Apple Stuffing Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Parsnip Smash and Fennel-Apple Sauté and the “fastest”, Mushroom-Apple Stuffing Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups with Pan Sauce and Apple-Fennel Salad.
- 1 5-pound roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 bulbs of fennel, tops and fronds removed and reserved, bulbs cut into wedges through the root
- 3 Granny Smith apples, 2 cored and cut into large wedges, 1 cored and finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs of celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound crimini mushrooms, wiped clean and finely chopped
- 1 red apple, such as Fuji or Red Delicious, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon (about 1/2 a palmful) poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard, (eyeball it)
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 1/4 cups store-bought stuffing cubes, your favorite brand and flavor
- 1 1/3 cup chicken stock, warmed
Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.
Place chicken in the middle of a large roasting pan and drizzle with about a tablespoon EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and surround the chicken with the parsnips, fennel, and apples. Drizzle the veggies with remaining tablespoon EVOO and season them with salt and pepper. Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast everything until the veggies are tender and the chicken has cooked through, about another 30 minutes. When the chicken comes out of the oven, loosely cover it with a piece of aluminum foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving it.
Once you put the veggies into the oven with the chicken, get your stuffing started: Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the onion, celery and mushrooms to the pan along with some salt and pepper and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes. Add the remaining chopped green and red apple, poultry seasoning, mustard, parsley and lemon zest to the pan and give it a good toss. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the stuffing cubes. Add the chicken stock to the pan in batches until it reaches the consistency you like (I like mine to just barely hold together without being too wet). Cover the stuffing and keep warm until ready to serve.
Carve up the roasted chicken and serve it with the roasted veggies and stuffing alongside.