Roast Cod Agro Dolce with Fennel
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 6 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 ribs celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves cracked from skins and chopped
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 tablespoon (if using red wine) or 1 tablespoon (if using sweet vermouth) light brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine or sweet vermouth
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Herb bundle of thyme and parsley
- 1 cup chicken or seafood stock
- 1 28-ounce can diced or chunky crushed tomatoes
- 6 to 8 8-ounce portions thick-cut, sustainable, skinless cod or halibut filets
- Finely chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve
Preheat oven to 450°F.
In a roasting pan, combine fennel, shallots, celery, carrots, garlic, chili flakes, EVOO, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar, and stir to combine. Roast 15-20 minutes to lightly caramelize. Add wine or sweet vermouth, bay, herbs, stock and tomatoes and roast 20 minutes more. Stir to combine, add fish, drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Roast until opaque and cooked through.