Roasted Maple and Mustard Chicken
Fragrant aromas will waft through your home as you roast this well-balanced, complete chicken dinner.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds medium potatoes, skin-on and cut into wedges
- 4 crispy apples, quartered and cored then cut into 8 wedges per apple
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled, cut into 6 wedges each with root attached
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 5-pound chicken, quartered
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- About 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
- About 1/3 cup grainy mustard
- About 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- About 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons shallot, grated
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
Melt the butter in a small pan or microwave.
In a shallow roasting pan, dress the potatoes, apples and onions with melted butter and season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Roast for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
Dress the chicken with the EVOO, salt and pepper and arrange over the potatoes and onions.
Combine the syrup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, stock, garlic and shallot in a small bowl. Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and potatoes and roast for 1 hour more.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit