Roasted Ratatouille with Honey Polenta
Roasted ratatouille captures the essence of the vegetables. Served with honey polenta, this is an ideal vegetarian meal.
- 1 medium, firm eggplant, cut into a bite-size dice
- 2 small, firm zucchini, cut into a bite-size dice
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cubanelle chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or sliced
- A few sprigs of thyme, chopped
- A few sprigs of rosemary, chopped
- About 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole or 2 percent milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/3-1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple of scant handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced or torn
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
Add the eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, chili pepper, bell pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary to a rimmed baking sheet as you chop them. Drizzle with enough EVOO to coat; season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast until just tender, 18-22 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the milk and chicken (or vegetable) stock. Whisk in the polenta and cook, stirring, until creamy and thick, 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese, honey and butter; season with salt and pepper.
Serve the ratatouille on a bed of polenta and top with the basil.