Roasted Red Pepper Rigatoni Arrabbiata with Sopressata Sticks
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices 1/8-inch-thick deli-sliced hot sopressata, cut into matchsticks
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One can crushed, diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes ( 28 ounces)
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 2 cups arugula, coarsely chopped or torn
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 ladleful pasta water.
While the pasta is working, position a rack 8 inches from the broiler and pre-heat to high. Broil the bell peppers, turning as necessary, until blackened all over, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let cool for 5 minutes. Discard the peel and seeds. Using a food processor, puree the bell peppers for 30 seconds.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the sopressata and cook until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Add the remaining EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the crushed red pepper, then the pureed roasted bell peppers. Stir in the tomatoes and oregano and heat through, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the reserved pasta cooking water. Add the pasta, parsley and cheese; toss. Top with the arugula and sopressata sticks.