Roasted Sausage, Pumpkin Apples and Onions with Maple and Beer Pan Gravy
Savor the flavors of roasted sausages and fruits and veggies with a beer sauce in this easy one-dish meal. Find this recipe on Rachael’s iPhone app, Tasty Bytes!
- 1 small sugar pumpkin or 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into large bite-size pieces
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into wedges with root ends attached
- 2 Gala or Braeburn apples, quartered, cores trimmed away
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seed (half a palmful)
- 8 bratwurst sausages or other sausage of your choice
- 3 tablespoons EVOO, for liberal drizzling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup stout beer
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, onions and apples with the lemon juice, salt and pepper, a little freshly grated nutmeg and the caraway seed. Add the sausages and dress everything with a layer of EVOO, about 3 tablespoons, to coat. Arrange on a large baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes.
Heat the butter in small pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, 1 minute, then add the beer, reduce for half a minute more, then whisk in the stock, maple syrup and Worcestershire sauce. Add some coarse black pepper and thicken for a few minutes more to coat a spoon.
Serve the roasted sausages and squash doused with the gravy.