Roasted Supper: Mexican Chicken or Fish
A seasoned rub helps to develop the flavor of roasted chicken or fish. A simple but beautiful salad of arugula and avocado dressed with lime and EVOO sets off the meal.
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ancho (mild) or chipotle (hot) chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thick whitefish fillets, such as cod or pollock (6-8 ounces each)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for liberal drizzling
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño chili peppers, thinly sliced
- Queso fresco crumbles and a handful of cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cups baby arugula
Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat to 450°F. Combine the ingredients for the spice blend (use salt and pepper, to taste).
On a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish, drizzle the chicken or fish with EVOO, then rub all over with the spice blend. Top each piece with a shingled layer of the tomatoes and onion. Scatter the garlic and jalapeños on top; drizzle with more EVOO. Roast until cooked through, about 20 minutes for chicken or 15 minutes for fish.
Top the chicken or fish with queso fresco and cilantro.
Dress the avocados with the lime juice, salt and pepper. Toss with the arugula and drizzle with EVOO. Serve with the chicken or fish.