Root Vegetable Chowder
A delicious vegetarian meal for a cold winter’s night.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium white-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 boxes vegetable stock (14 ounces each)
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
Heat a deep pot over medium heat. Melt butter into oil. Add onion, parsnip, potatoes, carrots and bay leaves. Stir to coat vegetables and season with nutmeg, thyme, and salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour and cook, 2 minutes. Whisk in broth. Bring soup to a boil, cover and simmer, 15 minutes, until all veggies are tender. Uncover, stir in cream or half and half and heat through. Serve piping hot.