Rosemary Grilled Tuna Steaks with Eggplant and Zucchini
This recipe is great paired with Vegetable Antipasto Stuffed Bread.
- 4 tuna steaks, 6 to 8 ounces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, just enough to lightly coat the steaks
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves chopped, about 3 tablespoons
- Steaks seasoning blend or coarse salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, about 2 tablespoons
Eggplant and Zucchini Topping:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small, young, firm eggplant
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
Preheat grill pan to high or preheat grill or charcoal. Coat tuna in balsamic and season with rosemary, salt and pepper. Drizzle fish with oil, coating lightly on both sides, about 2 tablespoons oil, total.
Preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan in a slow stream. Add garlic, onion and saute 2 or 3 minutes. Dice the zucchini and squash while the onion begins to soften. Add the zucchini and squash to the pan and turn to coat and combine with garlic and onion.
Slice eggplant into strips and dice, then add to the pan. Turn to combine all of the vegetables. Add thyme, salt and pepper to season the mixture. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, 10 minutes, until vegetables are just fork tender.
Grill tuna 2 to 3 minutes on each side for rare, up to 6 minutes on each side for well done.
When tuna is done and vegetables are fork tender, stir chopped tomatoes into eggplant and zucchini mixture and remove vegetables from heat.