Rum Raisin French Toast with Maple Bananas Foster and Ham Steak
This gorgeous and decadent French toast is perfect for Mother’s Day or any special brunch.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 thick slices challah with raisins, cinnamon raisin brioche or good-quality cinnamon-raisin white or wheat bread (just make sure the bread isn’t too dense in consistency)
- Butter, for grilling, plus 3 tablespoons for bananas
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick on bias
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup spiced, high-proof rum (90 proof or better), such as Mount Gay Black or Sailor Jerry’s
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- A drizzle of canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pound ham steak
Heat a griddle pan over medium heat. Place a baking sheet in the oven and heat to 275ºF.
Pre-heat a cast iron skillet for the ham steak over medium-high heat.
Whisk up the eggs, half-and-half, extracts and nutmeg. Soak the bread in the custard on each side. Butter the griddle and cook 2-3 slices at a time cooking until they are deep golden on each side and the custard has cooked through the bread. Keep the toast warm in oven and repeat with the remaining bread slices.
When the toast is done, heat a second skillet over medium-high heat and melt 3 tablespoons butter. When it foams, add the bananas and cinnamon stick; sprinkle a little freshly grated nutmeg and the dark brown sugar overtop. Toss to melt, add the maple syrup and heat through; remove pan from heat, add the rum and ignite. When the flame subsides, place the pan back on the stove and keep warm over low heat.
Add a drizzle of oil to the skillet, then add the ham steak; brown on each side and heat through. Douse the pan with a little water to deglaze. Carve the ham steak into four portions.
Layer one slice of toast, a slice of ham and another slice of toast. Top with a quarter of the bananas and serve.