Sausage and Cheese Scrambler
Mario has shared this recipe with us from his book, Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style.
After three days in the RV, it’s likely your crew has made some adjustments in its expectations for grooming and attire. This hearty breakfast takes that attitude into account. It may not look pretty, but it sure is tasty and, since you cook it all in one pan, it’s a snap to prepare.
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
Beat the eggs in a medium size bowl. Add the cheese and basil, stir to combine and set aside.
Place a large skillet, preferably cast iron, on a grill over a medium-hot fire. Add the olive oil and the onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, until the vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Add the sausage slices and cook for two minutes more.
Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring continuously, until they are just cooked through.
Note: 6 ounces drained canned mushrooms and 4 ounces jarred, roasted peppers can be substituted for the fresh mushrooms and red bell pepper. Diced ham can be substituted for the smoked sausage.