Sausage and Shrimp One-Pot
Enjoy this hearty stoup on a cool evening!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound hot or sweet bulk Italian sausage or 1 pound of links, split from casings
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 pound large, peeled, deveined shrimp
- A handful of basil leaves, torn or shredded
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, a handful, chopped
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
Pre-heat the oven to 325˚F.
Heat a large, high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat with the EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan. Add the sausage and crumble and brown it for 3-4 minutes, then add the peppers, onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes more so that the vegetables start to soften.
Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, then stir and bring up to a boil. Add the shrimp and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 5 minutes, then uncover and stir in the basil and parsley. Turn off the heat.
Crisp the bread in the hot oven. Serve the stoup in shallow bowls with crusty bread alongside for mopping.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.