Sausage, Chestnut and Apple Stuffing
Rachael’s family has been making this stuffing for more than 40 years!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 small ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest
- 3-4 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pound mild Italian pork or turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup Calvados or brandy
- About 3 cups seasoned stuffing mix (such as Pepperidge Farm brand) or homemade toasted bread stuffing with Bell’s poultry seasoning
- Celery salt
- Turkey or chicken stock, to moisten
- 1 cup roast or jarred chestnuts, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Melt the butter in a skillet; add the apple, celery and onion. Season with salt, pepper and the bay leaf and thyme and cook until tender, 10 minutes or so. Add the parsley and deglaze with the Calvados or brandy; add the sausage and lightly brown – do not cook the sausage until dry. Stir in the stuffing; season with a little celery salt and moisten with stock, adding just enough to make the bread damp, but not wet. Stir in the chestnuts, transfer to a casserole dish and bake for 35–40 minutes.