Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Fennel Skillet
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 6 pork or chicken Italian sweet sausages with fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 red frying peppers, halved, seeded and sliced or 1 large red field pepper, quartered seeded and sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers or green frying peppers, halved, seeded and sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white Balsamic vinegar or juice of 1 small lemon
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- A few pats of butter, to cook eggs
- 4 large eggs
- Torn bread, for serving
Prick sausage casings with a fork. Add 1/2 inch water, a drizzle of EVOO and the sausages to a cast-iron skillet. Bring water to a boil and cook sausages through over medium-high heat until water evaporates. Cook to crisp casings and remove.
Add more oil to pan, 2 turns of the pan, along with fennel, onions and peppers. Cook to tender-crisp, 8-10 minutes, then add garlic, reduce heat a bit and add chili flakes, oregano, vinegar and a splash of water. Bring to a bubble. Slice sausages on bias and add to pan; toss with basil.
In a small, nonstick skillet, cook 1 or 2 eggs at a time, covered, over medium heat to desired doneness. Place eggs over the sausages and veggies and serve directly from the skillet with bread alongside for mopping.