Sausage, Zucchini and Potato Stoup
This fennel-scented sausage, vegetable and potato soup cooks up in less than 30 minutes for a satisfying weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 pounds small round potatoes, quartered
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 large or 2 medium onions-peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced into thin wedges
- 3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 medium firm zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 12-16 cocktail tomatoes (a little bigger than cherry tomatoes)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce or passata
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread or rolls, for serving
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned and crumbly, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the potatoes to the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
Add the fennel, onion, garlic, zucchini and tomatoes. Cover and cook until the vegetables soften and the tomatoes burst, 7-8 minutes. Add the stock and tomato sauce. Stir in the sausage and parsley. Simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve with warm bread.